Wednesday 15 April 2020

28mm Spanish Cavalry: Vaudèmont regiment

Hello guys,


This time I bring you a new cavalry unit for my late XVIIc. Spanish army: Regiment of Vaudémont.





In 1672 it appears as a regiment of German soldiers, led by Duke Charles IV of Lorraine, serving the King of Spain. It had 6 companies and 400 men.   This unit was also led by the Duke's son, Charles Henry , Prince of Vaudemont, so until 1698 there was in Flanders at least one cavalry regiment of Lorraine serving the Spanish Army of Flanders, fighting in all wars of the period, Franco Dutch War, War of the Reunions, and League of Augsburg War.


The miniatures are Front Rank  28mm miniatures, more suitable for League of Augsburg War than  1670' but I will use them for all conflicts between 1672-1697 anyway.

I painted them and use the flag  following this book, mentioned several times in this blog:
 BOERI, G. Carlo; MIRECKL, J. Luis; PALAU, José y HALL, Robert: The Spanish Armies on the war of the league of Augsburg, 1688-1697. Ed. Pike&Shot Society, 2011.

They were painted using Vallejo and Foundry paints, with some washes by Army Painter and Citadel. I stopped buying Citadel paints because the dry MUCH faster than any other manufacturer I have ever used... I am talking about the "new" pots of Games Workshop paints (I now, I am a nostalgic from the good old times of Games Workshop in the nineties).

After painting the riders and horses I applied matt varnish of AMMO Mig, by airbrush, I hope you like them!











and now some close ups, these Front Rank miniatures almost paint themselves, the sculpted details are very easy to paint,









Cheers





20 comments:

  1. Beautiful looking figures Jose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smashing paint job! Almost makes me want to get into the period

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks!! I got trapped in it in 2014, and I can not escape !! Be careful with XVII c ;)

      Delete
  3. That's a gorgeous looing regiment, Jose. You are right about the paintability of those Front Rank figures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, Front Rank and North Star 1672 are my fav ranges to paint!

      Delete
  4. merci beaucoup pour votre commentaire :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful looking unit Jose...
    I am a big fan of Front Rank miniatures... you have certainly brought the best out off them...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Aly !! I am a big fan too :) I will paint more of them, for sure.

      Best regards!

      Delete
    2. OMG I just noticed you are ALY MORRISON!! the miniature designer of Marauder miniatures! I am a GREAT fan of your works and own a bunch of those lovely 80' miniatures ! Thanks Sir

      Delete
    3. Oh! No... I’ve been found out 😱😂
      I’m glad you enjoyed them...

      All the best. Aly

      Delete
  6. Hahahahaha, the best mini I have ever painted, is yours:
    https://spanishleadpainting.blogspot.com/2019/06/marauders-giant-warhammer-monster.html?m=0

    Best regards

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh super! I was just looking for this regiment as it was part of the besieging forces at Naarden 1673 - then I found this blog post and was overwhelmed by the quality of your painting! I hope mine will look half as nice when they hit the table at the Naarden museum later this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks sir ! I'm glad you find useful my blog :) Please post pics of that event. Cheers!

      Delete