Monday 26 February 2024

III century Romans: Legio II Parthica

 Hello guys,


After a looooooooooong stop, I painted another unit for my 3rd century Roman army.

Middle Imperial Romans are one of my favorite armies, they have a mixture of early and late antiquity features, chainmail (lorica hamata) and segmented armor (lorica segmentata),  spears and pilum,  gladius substituted by spathae... Old style Gallic helmets with newer designs like Niederbieber helmet, oval shields and rectangular shields/scutum. So very interesting and funny to convert!

It is also an era with lots of wars and even more enemies, being the most famous the Sassanians, Palmyrans, Goths (well, barbarians in general) and frecuently, Romans vs. Romans. 

It is an army that can play conflicts from Marcus Aurelius to Diocletian, roughly 100 years, If you are not a "button counter" of course. So lots of flexibility in my humble opinion.


Here is the first post about III century Roman miniatures in the blog:

https://spanishleadpainting.blogspot.com/2022/02/3rd-century-romans-project.html

Now my second unit fully painted and based: Legio Secunda Parthica:

                                   


Miniatures are a mixture of A & A miniatures with plastic Wargames Atlantic miniatures, which are very easy to paint and well sculpted. 

The most boring part was  hand painting all the shields, following the design of Legio II Parthica, at least in all the illustrations I have seen, you can see some in the previous post about 3rd century Romans here in the blog.

I added some 3d printed bits like some helmets , like the officer in the front rank, and a miniature in the back row.

I hope you like these little legionaries!












11 comments:

  1. Very nice! I have an A&A Middle Imperial army too but have only painted a unit of Palestinian clubmen so far…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyrus, I want also some clubmen , they are unique and fun to paint :D

      Delete
  2. Very nice work and a fine job on the shields! I'm about a quarter of the way through my 3rd Century Romans(A&A) and they are quite fun to do.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Crhistopher! I have seen them, very inspiring, and your late Roman collection is superb!

      Delete
    2. Thank you kindly! Looking forward to your next additions.

      Christopher

      Delete
  3. Lovely work Jose…
    What’s not to love about this period…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ally! yes, I just wish not to be involved in so many periods... hahaha Cheers

      Delete
  4. Fantastic painting and a great period!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, do you still have pics of your Belisarius Byzantine army? A couple of years ago - I saw your Heruli. You can email me directly if you wish. I have painted an Early Byzantine army but it may be closer to the slightly later Maurikion Byzantine army. Kstulberg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete