Sunday 30 May 2021

28mm William Prince of Orange, 1672.

 

Hello guys,

In this post I want to introduce you to my "command base" of my small Dutch army for  the Franco Dutch War of 1672-1678: William III of Orange, as commander-in-chief of the army, accompanied by a musketeer and a mounted trumpeteer.




my inspiration was this painting:


            mounted trumpeteer on the left, on foot, and William on the right, dressed in green


The miniatures are from Warfare Miniatures and North Star 1672; 

-William is from Warfare Miniatures, unmodified, I have only added some shoulder ribbons (from Front Rank), the miniature is a good sculpt, very recommended. I have painted it inspired by the aforementioned painting. he is riding a white horse. For the painting I used Vallejo and Foundry paints, especially for the horse, I used the Foundry Triad of "Artic Grey" until reaching white, I am satisfied with this triad because it makes smooth transitions between triad colors, and as the paint has little covering power , leaves a subtle transition from grey to white. As a negative point of these paints, is that painting over the dark gray primer is very time consuming because they cover very little and several layers are needed ... so my strange advice is: paint the first layer with a grey (Vallejo) and over it, paint the Foundry triad.

                                               


-The musketeer is a Dutch musketeer from North Star 1672, painted as a member of  Konigsmark regiment, inspired by the fantastic illustration in Bruno Mugnai's book, "WARS AND SOLDIERS IN THE EARLY REIGN OF LOUIS XIV VOLUME 1 :The Army of the United Provinces of the Netherlands 1660-1687" this book is an absoluty MUST for all of you interested on Franco Dutch war or Dutch military...   The painting was fast and simple as it is only in blue. I used Foundry blue triad.

                                                       Konigsmark's musketeer on the left.



Finally, the horseman with the trumpet is from Warfare Miniatures, from Gardes te Paard, with his characteristic uniform, with the loose sleeves,  sold by Barry Hilton's great range of late XVII miniatures.  I painted it in red, like in the painting in a different color than the rest of his unit, typical of the musicians of that time. I was not brave enough to paint the "W" and the crown over it in the back of the trumpeteer's coat... maybe in the future, when I paint the whole cavalry unit.


                                                

On the cornet "pennant" or whatever is called in English the cloth that hangs from the trumpet/Bugle I have tried (within my limited possibilities) to hand-paint the Orange-Nassau coat of arms, I hate painting those little things and I am a huge fan of decals and pre made flags, but in this case I had no choice but to paint it free hand, please don't judge me harsly.

The base is mdf with a little bit of DAS PRONTO putty in order to place William on a somewhat higher ground.












8 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful base if figures Jose. Love the green on William's coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Ray, next post will be the whole "army" on parade. I decided to paint William's coat in green after that beautiful painting of William in 1672.
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Fantastic painting. Your commander looks like he is ordering his army to advance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks mate! Yes, exactly, he is doing y that!

      Delete
  3. A rather dashing looking command stand…

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete