Friday 23 April 2021

French reinforcements: Regiment de Montroux 1690

 Hi guys,


Today I bring you a "new" regiment for my French army of the League of Augsburg War,  I say "new" because it was painted in 2015 in an old school manner, using Wargames Foundry miniatures, which are smaller in size than most of my other miniatures from other manufacturers.  The only new thing is the flag, from regiment de Montroux, from "Flags of War". So this post is no more than a flag swap!

Initially, these guys were going to be my Gardes Suisses, but their uniform was not suitable for that task, so they were stored for years until I decided to send them to battle with a new name and a new flag set!

I had to re launch my regiment so it needed a new name, I looked from an actual French regiment in red uniform faced in blue, and I found it! From Robert Hall's Flags and Uniforms of the French Infantry under Louis XIV 1688-1714 ...  Montroux Regiment, or Regiment de Montroux, a French (Italian) regiment made up of Piamontese prisioners of war put into French service in 1690, it fought with its 500 men in Flanders during the whole conflict, in the main battles, also in the War of Spanish Succession.

I usually prefer taller miniatures and I don't like using tricorns prior 1700' but as I had the miniatures and they were painted, it was a shame not to use the unit.








Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. It would be a shame, indeed, gorgeous regiment!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Phil! They will fight for the Sun King very soon!

      Delete
  2. They look great! Great to see that they found a name and role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, with this period is not difficult to swap flags/nationalities !

      Delete
  3. A brilliant looking unit Jose, love the flags.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, Flags of War are really top notch!

      Delete
  4. They look lovely Jose...
    It would be a shame not to use such nice toys.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Aly, Foundry are really nice minis, I wish they were compatible with current ranges of miniatures !

      Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Nice and crisp work on these. The red pops right out!

    ReplyDelete