Friday 10 May 2019

More Fantasy "Speedpainting": Quickshade Orcs


Hello hobby mates!

I have decided to give my orcs a big impulse,  for 2 main reasons: 1) I need bad guys for my Warhammer Quest adventures and 2) I want a second (painted) army to fight my Empire forces.

I have some classic orcs since 1999 or so, and I have bought some 4th/5th edition orcs in the last 5 years, so nowadays I have a respectable force to play with (which needs to be painted!).

I want to paint my army in 2 painting standards; 
- tabletop quality for most plastic monopose figures, orc swordsmen & bowmen and  goblin  spearmen.

-good quality for metal miniatures and the first row of plastic miniatures in a unit.


I don't like to paint tabletop quality miniatures, but as I want to field this army "soon" so I thought a solution:

- prime the miniatures in grey
- airbrush the miniatures in goblin green or similar
- basecoat all the colours (light colours rather than dark)
- Army Painter Quickshade strong tone dip
- just a highlight for most colours, maybe two for the skin, 10 min aprox per miniature.
- matt varnish and base.

I have tried the previous method with good results in my humble opinion. It is just a tool to speed up the process of mass painting.


TEST MODELS:


primed and airbrushed



basecoated and given a coat of Quickshade



single highlight 48 hours after the Quickshade and BEFORE matt varnish


based and matt varnished, the miniature is finished and just need his shield.

Time of actual painting each miniature... maybe 20-25 minutes! 

But you don't paint just one, you paint in batches of 5-10 miniatures, so you can paint most basic troops in a month, and the result is nice enough (at least for me!).


Here are my first batch of speedpainted Orcs:









Cheers!





4 comments: