Tuesday 30 March 2021

French Grenadier étranger, 1684


Hello again guys,

Coinciding with my project of the siege of Gerona 1684, I have already shown the French "enfants perdús" (storm troopers) in armor, who launched the fierce attack on the city walls, which finally failed, and behind them, advanced the grenadiers, and here they are, with their brand new weapons, the plug bayonettes.




I needed some grenadiers, but before painting a new unit,  I decided to bring back my “grenadiers étranger” painted a while ago (maybe 2015), inspired by the converged grenadier unit from  Barry Hilton's collection, with Dixon miniatures.

I painted them in diverse and colorful schemes, as it is a unit created ad hoc, with grenadiers from various regiments in French service (but made up of Germans, Swiss, Irish ...). As they were painted before I started this blog, they were never featured here, and also the painting standard is from 2015 and not 2021, but they are nice enough in my opinion :)

I love Dixon miniatures, although I usually use larger minis from Front Rank or North Star 1672, but whenever I get a chance, I use old school Dixons and Foundry miniatures!

These grenadiers stormed the barricades and bastions of Gerona, just behind two lines of men armed with bucklers and swords, axes and wearing metal breastplates. Initially they took some positions, but they did not manage to break the defenses of the city, and when they were attacked from the flanks and from the walls, they had to retreat with enormous losses in that summer of 1684.









Cheers!





8 comments:

  1. Not nice enough? Are you mad? They're beautifully painted Jose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahahahaha Thanks ! I said nice enough! hahaha but I tried to say that these were painted 6 years ago, and painting styles change during the years. Cheers Ray

      Delete
  2. I agree with Ray, these are beautifully painted 👍 . I like how you’ve got the variety of colours representing grenadiers from different units.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look lovely Jose...
    I too like the mixed uniforms...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Aly, yeah me too, this is one of the most colorful periods, and this kind of mixed units are truly a rainbow 🌈 haha

      Delete
  4. Superb uniforms...and paint job!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slot Machines: Betting on Video Slots - DrmCD
    Video slots 광주 출장샵 are a great 통영 출장마사지 way 영천 출장샵 to find value 포항 출장마사지 for your gambling budget. And that's because the 익산 출장샵 slots do pay off with your winnings.

    ReplyDelete