Tuesday 2 February 2021

3D Printing, Work in Progress & miniature comparison for GERONA 1684



Hello friends,

 In the last two weeks of January I have been preparing some projects I have, most of them have to do with my "Gerona 1684" campaign, including 3D printing of a Spanish officer's design that I commissioned a while ago and that I have in metal. Build a siege artillery position, make a 17th century military camp, and paint a French siege assault unit. Also some comparison of a miniature brand, Tercio Creativo.

To begin with, 3D printing stuff... As I have mentioned on previous posts, a friend of mine and hobby colleague has 5 3D printers, some of them are resin, that he needs for his profession, and fortunately he also has a dental scanner that can also scan miniatures. After the success of scanning some gabions in the past, we have scanned an officer that I commissioned to a freelance sculptor a while ago. As I have that officer in metal, we have tried to scan him and print him in printer resin.



my friend's basement






For the test we had no gray resin left, so it was done in black resin, and the details are not so noticeable. In my opinion, the detail of the metal miniature is superior to that of the resin printed copy, but If well painted, it can be used without problem.
Of course, with some software knowledge, one can do wonders with the design of the mini, and modify the miniature in the computer! Maybe in the future the conversions of miniatures could be done in the computer...


Next thing I am doing is an artillery position, mostly scratchbuilt, with some plastic gabions from Renedra, and "chevaux de Frise" from Warfare Miniatures .




An Old Glory ECW cavalryman converted into an enthusiastic infantry sargent, using the lower part of the body of a Warlord Games' plastic musketeer (also ECW range).



I also had  a project of a XVII c. military camp, using as inspiration, contemporary paintings, and the core set of the miniature encampment is the nice box of "terrain crate" from Mantic, absolutely inexpensive, just 27 euros for 4 tents, sleeping bags and campfires...  also some spare bits from Games Workshop and other manufacturers, all together can make a nice Renaissance or Baroque military camp for almost every European power. 
















Finally, here you have, in resin, a miniature from "Tercio Creativo" a Gallic Grenadier (left), from a game set in a alternative history called "1650 a capa y espada".  Although the miniature has a "fantasy" look, I think it fits  as a leader of a storming party, with his French classic helmet, used from the 1660' onwards. a cravatte, tabard an some armour. So he will lead my French enfants perdús into the breach!

                                               compared to North Star 1672 French Pikeman


                                              compared to North Star 1672 Swiss Pikeman

                                                         compared to Front Rank Pikeman




Some more examples of miniatures from tercio Creativo. I like the look of the swordsman with some plunder bag. Also the officer with pistol in a 1650-60 outfit is quite nice.




This brand is highly recommended in my opinion, its miniatures cost about 8.5 euros, and its quality is very good, both in resin, as well as in proportions and design. I find them great for heroes and leaders of the seventeenth century games.


Cheers!



2 comments:

  1. I look forward to seeing your terrain pieces painted- that artillery emplacement looks superb already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks mate, I hope to work on them soon :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete