Wednesday 16 December 2020

Vauban and French siege engineer, late XVII c.

 Hello guys,


I am still painting small scenic bases for my late XVII c. macro project, now is the turn of some French. 




As this period is full of sieges, from large cities to small villages, I needed siege personel in my armies, so I got my inspiration from a blog I follow and visit regularly: Sidney Roundwood's excellent blog

this is the link of the exact post I "copied"   

http://sidneyroundwood.blogspot.com/2019/04/the-council-of-warre-year-of-french.html

I wanted to reproduce a similar scene, where a French officer, maybe Monsieur Vauban, and a siege engineer, were supervising and conducting siege operations in common places like Flanders, Catalonia or The Netherlands in 1670' or so.

The miniatures themselves are a mix of Dixon's miniatures and Wargames Foundry:

- the officer/Vauban is a conversion of a Dixon's Grand Alliance siege engineer with a new head, the head of Louis XIV from Wargames Foundry and green stuff for the hair! I think the result is nice and the two parts from the different manufacturers come together well. I have painted him with a similar uniform to this Vauban painting.









-the siege engineer in armour is Wargames Foundry's, from ECW/ 30 Years War range, very nice miniature, I fell in love with the miniature when saw it  and placed and order ! So I left him unmolested, with no conversions haha. Maybe his outfit is a little "demodé" or slightly early from 1670', but I think in siege operation it was common to wear siege armour.

The little maps were downloaded from the abovementioned Sidney Roundwood's blog. 

I used a mix of Vallejo and Foundry paints, with occasional Citadel Washes, I hope you like the finished result!









Cheers!

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! Seamless conversion work on the French officer and the Foundry figure is very nice- I have one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks! I used green stuff in order to hide the gaps and seams ;)
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely looking vignette Jose...
    The Foundry sapper is particularly nice... I feel I need one myself 😁

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete