Tuesday 8 December 2020

My "Army Standard Bearer": 28mm Spanish ensign 1660-70'

 Hello guys,


I am still in a XVII c mood, so I decided to bring back an old concept from my Warhammer Historical times, the "Army Standard Bearer", in my case, a Spanish "alférez" (ensign).



In recent times I saw a picture of a painting by Justus Van Egmont, a  very talented Flemish painter, who painted a Spanish ensign, probably from a Tercio or a Civic Militia in Flanders. I really loved the painting I thought about making it in 28mm !




The miniature is based in a "large" scenic base, because I will use him as an officer or Standard Bearer for large battle games or skirmish warbands games. Of course the mini is not an exact copy of the painting, but I tried to make it as similar as possible.

The miniature is made up from Wargames Foundry's Louis XIV miniature, heavily converted , with another head,  a Warhammer Bretonnian head from young knights sprue, with green stuff puty sculpted over, to make a decent hair. Both hands were cut, one of them is an open hand from Warlord Games' ECW range, and the other is holding a plastic broad brimmed hat also from Warlord Games. The flag itself is printed at home, downloaded from 80YW.org a fb group by Bouko de Groot, an absolutely wonderful site, full of nice flags from the 80 Years War. Although the flag of the painting is not the same of the miniature,  is similar enough for me.

The "uniform" or  dress is more suitable for the War of Devolution than Franco Dutch War, but I will use for both :)

I hope you like the finished result, I am quite pleased about the way it turned out, despite it was painted in a couple of days.





some closer pictures:







Cheers




14 comments:

  1. Really nice work- the face is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Jose...
    He looks suitably dashing...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Aly, I hope he raises the morale of my Tercios !
      Saludos

      Delete
  3. Superb painting and basing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking absolutely ace! Quite like the look on his face. Definitely a bit more roguish than on the painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Moiterei, haha true, that Bretonnian head is cool! Cheers

      Delete
  5. Painter Keillor Some us know all relating to the compelling medium you present powerful steps on this blog and therefore strongly encourage contribution from other ones on this subject while our own child is truly discovering a great deal. Have fun with the remaining portion of the year.

    ReplyDelete