Monday 12 April 2021

28mm XVII c. encampent


Hello guys,


I have just finished a project of a XVII c. military camp, primary for my Gerona 1684 campaign, but generic enough to be used by any army during the whole pike and shot era, or even later, so I will use it in my 30 Years War battles too :)




I painted it using as inspiration, contemporary paintings, some of them from the most excellent book "Pieter Snayers: Battle Painter 1592-1667" a true gem, for all who look for information and inspiration about XVII c. warfare.



The core set of my encampment is the nice box of "terrain crate" from Mantic, absolutely inexpensive, just 27 euros for 4 tents, sleeping bags and campfires...  also some spare bits from Games Workshop and other manufacturers, all together can make a nice Renaissance or Baroque military camp for almost every European power. 


I painted the tents with an airbrush, in a cream color, applying soft lights from the top. Later, I sealed it with satin varnish, to protect the previous work.  I gave it an oil wash as a filter, and then, a day later, I painted small dots of oil colors that were then spread from top to bottom with the brush moistened in White Spirit. After that, I painted the few details that the tents have and matt varnished all. Simple and fast.


The other details were painted as usual, but with simplified methods like drybrushing (after all, they are scenery).



In the base I left a big area clear in order to place my different miniatures there,  some examples from different periods and nations:









                                                      Drum and map

                                                      Holy Virgin Mary "Chapel"

Bar-tent







Some inspiration here...











I hope have liked this little scenery project

Cheers





8 comments:

  1. Lovely encampment! Really nice work on the tents. I have also been inspired by that book - there are some great camp scenes in it 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks mate! yeah that book is awesome, pricey but well worths it !
      Cheers

      Delete
  2. Beautiful camp Jose. I love the canvas colour- really well done. It looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate, with an airbrush it was much easier than expected!

      Delete
  3. I'm jealous, this camp is truly gorgeous, inspired and cracking job on it!!😍😍👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks Phil! Do one yourself, its not difficult and inexpensive! Just the plastic kit from Mantic terrain crate, and buff color by airbrush! Cheers !

      Delete